Court defers hearing on bail plea of godman ‘Ichchadhari’
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday deferred
to July 24 the hearing on the bail plea of self-styled godman
Shiv Murat Dwivedi in a case against him under the stringent
MCOCA for allegedly running a flesh trade racket here.
"Fix the matter for hearing on the bail application
on July 24," Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria said.
Dwivedi alias Ichchadhari Sant Swami Bhimanand Ji
Maharaj Chitrakootwale had filed the plea on a statutory
ground, saying "he deserves to be released on bail as the
police failed to file the chargesheet within the stipulated 90
days period prescribed under the CrPC and the MCOCA."
Defence counsel M S Khan said that the accused was
entitled for his release on bail as the police did not file
probe report within the stipulated time and he cannot be kept
in detention for an infinite period.
Police filed a reply opposing the bail plea of the
In another case lodged against Dwivedi and others,
including six alleged call girls under the Immoral Traffic
(Prevention) Act, police have recently filed the chargesheet.
Except Dwivedi, all other accused are out on bail.
Police, however, is yet to complete probe in the case
lodged under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act.
The case under MCOCA was lodged against Dwivedi after
it came to light that he was allegedly running an organised
flesh trade syndicate here.
Dwivedi was allegedly running the sex racket for the
last 10 to 12 years and has acquired properties worth crores
of rupees, police said.
During custodial interrogation, police, at the
instance of the accused, have allegedly recovered various
documents relating to properties, investments and bank
details, it said.
Police also alleged that Rs 1.55 lakh in cash, some
gold ornaments and VCDs were recovered from the car of Dwivedi
at the time of the raid on his premises on February 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre