Court defers order on CBI`s move to withdraw Bofors case
New Delhi: A Delhi Court Wednesday deferred till April 17 pronouncement of its order on a plea of a lawyer objecting to CBI`s move to withdraw the two-decade-old Bofors pay-off case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi.
Metropolitan Magistrate Sandeep Garg adjourned the matter after Additional Solicitor General P P Malhotra submitted that the original records, which were sent to the Supreme Court, have yet not been returned.
Advocate Ajay Agrawal, who had filed an application against CBI`s move to withdraw the case on October three, argued that the appeal filed by him in October 2005 in the
matter was still pending before the apex court.
He claimed that CBI had not filed the appeal against the Delhi High Court judgement discharging some accused in the case.
Meanwhile, the apex court yesterday asked Agrawal to withdraw his petition seeking directions to CBI to take action for stopping the defreezing of bank accounts of Quattrocchi in London.
It, however, allowed him to file a fresh petition against 70-year-old Quattrocchi.
A Delhi court had on November 6 last year deferred the pronouncement of its order, saying that it did not have the original documents as those have been sent to the Supreme
Quattrocchi, the sole surviving accused in the case after the Delhi High Court quashed the charges on May 31, 2005 against other accused, has never appeared before any court in the country.
CBI had failed on two occasions in its attempt to get Quattrocchi extradited -- first from Malaysia in 2003 and then from Argentina in 2007.
In November last year, the agency had asked the Interpol to take Quattrocchi`s name off the Red Corner notice list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31