Court dismisses bail plea of self-styled godman in MCOCA case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday dismissed the
bail plea of self-styled godman Shiv Murat Dwivedi who has
been booked in a case under stringent MCOCA for allegedly
running a flesh trade racket here.
"The charges against the accused were grave and he could
not be enlarged on bail as the case pertained to alleged
running of an orgnaised racket," Additional Sessions Judge S K
Dwivedi, alias Ichchadhari Sant Swami Bhimanand Ji
Maharaj Chitrakootwale, had filed the bail application on the
statutory ground, saying "he deserves to be released on bail
as the police failed to file the chargesheet within the
stipulated 90 days period prescribed under CrPC and MCOCA."
Defence counsel M S Khan said the police had approached
the court for extension of time to conclude the probe after
the lapse of stipulated 90 days period and consquently,
Dwivedi deserved to be released on bail. The plea was
The police had opposed the bail plea of the accused.
The police, however, are yet to complete probe in the
case lodged under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act.
Dwivedi was allegedly running the sex racket for the last
10 to 12 years and has acquired properties worth crores of
rupees, police said.
During custodial interrogation, the police claimed that,
at the instance of the accused, they recovered various
documents relating to properties, investments and bank
The police also alleged that Rs 1.55 lakh in cash, some
gold ornaments and VCDs were recovered from the car of Dwivedi
at the time of the raid on his premises on February 26.
Besides the present case, Dwivedi, along with seven
others including six alleged call girls, are accused in
another case lodged under Immoral Trafficking (Prevention)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre