Court exempts Sheila Dikshit from appearance for a day
New Delhi: A Delhi court today allowed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s application for personal exemption but asked her to appear before it on February 18, 2013 in a defamation case filed by her against city BJP chief Vijender Gupta.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan exempted the Chief Minister from appearing in person before the court, saying "the application for exemption is only allowed for today and the complainant will need to appear on the next date of hearing, which is February 18, 2013".
Seeking exemption from personal appearance for Dikshit, her counsel Gajender Kumar said, "Due to a bereavement in the family in Mumbai, she could not appear before the court."
He further said, "The Chief Minister left for Mumbai yesterday and is coming back to Delhi by today evening. Hence, owing to such unfortunate incident in the close family she is unable to attend this court today and her non-appearance is unintentional."
However, Gupta`s counsels, Ajay Burman and Ajay Digpaul opposed Dikshit`s application saying "complainant has not mentioned the name of the relative who passed away, which seems she is avoiding the court proceedings."
During the proceedings, Gupta submitted that he is being humiliated by being asked to appear on each date of hearing, whereas the Chief Minister has not appeared since recording of her evidence in the case on May 30.
He also said, "even though the court has passed strict order on last date, she fails to appear."
On October 12, the court had directed Dikshit to appear before it on the next date of hearing, November 9, else the case will be dismissed.
Dikshit had filed the criminal defamation case against Gupta alleging that the BJP leader used "uncivilised" language against her before the April 15 MCD polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof