Court exempts Sheila Dikshit from appearance for a day
New Delhi: A Delhi court today allowed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s application for personal exemption but asked her to appear before it on February 18, 2013 in a defamation case filed by her against city BJP chief Vijender Gupta.
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan exempted the Chief Minister from appearing in person before the court, saying "the application for exemption is only allowed for today and the complainant will need to appear on the next date of hearing, which is February 18, 2013".
Seeking exemption from personal appearance for Dikshit, her counsel Gajender Kumar said, "Due to a bereavement in the family in Mumbai, she could not appear before the court."
He further said, "The Chief Minister left for Mumbai yesterday and is coming back to Delhi by today evening. Hence, owing to such unfortunate incident in the close family she is unable to attend this court today and her non-appearance is unintentional."
However, Gupta`s counsels, Ajay Burman and Ajay Digpaul opposed Dikshit`s application saying "complainant has not mentioned the name of the relative who passed away, which seems she is avoiding the court proceedings."
During the proceedings, Gupta submitted that he is being humiliated by being asked to appear on each date of hearing, whereas the Chief Minister has not appeared since recording of her evidence in the case on May 30.
He also said, "even though the court has passed strict order on last date, she fails to appear."
On October 12, the court had directed Dikshit to appear before it on the next date of hearing, November 9, else the case will be dismissed.
Dikshit had filed the criminal defamation case against Gupta alleging that the BJP leader used "uncivilised" language against her before the April 15 MCD polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day