Court extends JC of Abhishek Verma, wife in OS Act case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday extended till October 12 the judicial custody of arms dealer Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neacsu in the case for allegedly possessing Defence Ministry`s secret documents and supplying them to foreign nationals.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash extended their custody by 14 days after their judicial custody tenure in the Official Secrets Act violation case expired today.
The CBI had registered a fresh case against the couple on August 28 under the Official Secrets Act on a Defence Ministry complaint.
The duo were earlier remanded to the CBI custody for ten days on September 4 for their custodial interrogation and confrontation with incriminating documents collected so far as well as to ascertain the involvement of other persons, if any, in the case.
In an FIR registered on August 28, the CBI had said the Defence Ministry on June 6 had received a letter from Verma`s business partner and Ganton Pvt Ltd`s President C Edmond Allen with some documents annexed to it.
Upon verification, some of the documents were found to be
"secret" and a complaint was made to the CBI by the ministry on August 27 following which a case under section 3 of the Official Secrets Act (passing sensitive information) and of criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code was registered against Verma and his wife.
The CBI`s case is that Verma utilised the services of Anca, the director of Ganton India Pvt Ltd as well as other officials of the firm to obtain secret defence documents unauthorisedly and then supplied them to foreign nationals.
Verma and Anca were first arrested and remanded in judicial custody in a corruption case involving alleged receipt of USD 530,000 by them from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using their influence to stall the firm`s blacklisting proceedings by Indian government.
After they were given bail in that case, they were arrested in an Enforcement Directorate`s money laundering case and a forgery case, registered by CBI on a complaint made by Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow