Court extends judicial custody of Abhishek Verma, wife till Oct 8
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday extended till October 8 the judicial custody of businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife, arrested for their alleged involvement in a money laundering case lodged by the Enforcement Directorate.
Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neascu were produced before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Gautam Manan after expiry of their remand and the court extended their judicial custody by a week after the ED said that probe into the case is going on.
During the day, both the accused were also produced before a special CBI court here in connection with two separate cases of corruption and forgery lodged against them by the agency.
Special CBI judge Sanjeev Jain extended their judicial custody till October 8. They are also lodged in jail for their alleged role in a case lodged under the Official Secrets Act by the CBI.
The ED had registered a money laundering case against the couple for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms-dealing firm to keep it out of the Indian government`s blacklist.
Verma and his wife were arrested on August 22 by the ED after they had moved an application to surrender in the money laundering case.
Verma and his wife are also accused in three separate cases filed by the CBI, including a forgery case lodged on the complaint of Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken.
Both the accused had been earlier granted bail on August 8 in the corruption case for allegedly receiving USD 5,30,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG for using their influence to stall the firm`s blacklisting by the government here.
They were granted bail after the CBI had failed to file
charge sheet against them within stipulated 60 days following their arrest on June 8 in the corruption case.
The CBI, however, had arrested them on the same day in the forgery case registered on Maken`s complaint in the court room itself. Anca was later on granted bail by the court in this case.
They were accused of writing a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2009 on Maken`s forged letterhead for easing of business visa norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!