Court fees row: HC bench recuses from hearing
New Delhi: A Delhi High Court bench on Thursday recused itself from hearing a plea of a lawyers` body seeking to set aside a legislation allowing a ten-fold hike in court fees.
"I was part of a committee which was involved in formulating the e-court filing of petitions. The provision relating to the e-court is part of the Act (Court Fee (Delhi Amendment) Act, 2012)," Justice Badar Durrez Ahmed said while recusing himself from hearing the case.
The bench comprising Justice Ahmed and Justice Manmohan then referred back the petition of the Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHCBA) to Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri for transferring it to some other court.
The matter is expected to come up for hearing before another bench tomorrow.
On September 10, the Acting Chief Justice had transferred the case, saying, "The bench, which hears the matter, will have to pass the order also", as he may be elevated as the Chief Justice of another high court.
Earlier, the Delhi High Court had stayed the government`s decision to enforce the Court Fee Act.
On the last date of hearing, the Delhi Government had objected to the appearance of Additional Solicitor General A S Chandhiok for Delhi High Court Bar Association (DHCBA) and supporting the stand of the lawyers` body.
"He (ASG) is also appointed by the President. It is a constitutional issue," Najmi Waziri, the counsel for the government, had told the court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know