Court frames charges against Jaya Jaitley
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Sunday framed charges against former Samata Party president Jaya Jaitley and two others in an alleged corruption case of 2001 relating to a defence deal.
Jaitley, her erstwhile party colleague Gopal Pacherwal and retired Major General S P Murgai appeared before Special CBI Judge Kawal Jeet Arora who posted the matter for further proceedings from April 30 after framing the charges.
The court framed charges against them for the offence of hatching criminal conspiracy under section 120 B of the Indian penal Code and various other sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act dealing with `taking gratification for exercise of personal influence with public servant`.
The three accused pleaded not guilty and claimed to face trial in the case. The case was registered on the basis of a sting, `Operation West End,` conducted by newsportal tehelka.com in 2000, purportedly exposing alleged corruption in defence deals. The CBI had submitted a charge sheet against Jaya Jaitley and others in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez