Court frames charges against MP Dhananjay Singh in rape case
New Delhi: BSP MP Dhananjay Singh was on Monday put on trial by a Delhi court for allegedly raping a 42-year- old woman for nearly four years.
Additional Sessions Judge Sarita Birbal framed charges against Singh under various provisions of the IPC relating to rape, voluntarily causing hurt and criminal intimidation.
The court has fixed April 1 for commencement of trial in the case by recording of statements of prosecution witnesses.
In its charge sheet, police has arraigned 13 persons, including three doctors, as prosecution witnesses.
It also dismissed the bail plea of Singh on the ground that he can influence the witnesses.
Earlier, during arguments on framing of charges against Singh, a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, police had said they had the evidence which showed the involvement of the accused in the crime.
It had said the forensic and medical reports of the victim corroborated the statement given by her before a magistrate under Section 164 of the CrPC.
The police had said the victim has given all the details of the incident in her statement under 164 CrPC.
Senior advocate Hariharan and advocate S P M Tripathi, who appeared for Singh, had said there were inconsistency and improvement in the statement of the alleged victim and police cannot solely rely on her statement.
The charge sheet was filed against Singh for offences under various penal provisions of the IPC, including 376(2)(h) (rape knowing that a woman is pregnant) and 376 (2)(n) (repeatedly raping the same woman), 377 (unnatural offence), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) and 506(criminal intimidation).
The complaint was filed against Singh by the woman after the MP and his wife Jagriti Singh, a dental surgeon at a government hospital, were arrested last November in connection with their maid`s murder in which charge sheet was recently filed.
In the charge sheet against Singh in the rape case, police alleged that he had repeatedly raped the woman between July 2005 and March 2009.
Referring to the complaint filed by the woman, police had alleged the victim was raped several times by Singh at gunpoint and was threatened with dire consequences if she reported the matter.
They had also said the husband of the complainant was a businessman and was known to Singh and through him, she had first met the accused in February 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends