Court grants bail to "godman" in sex racket case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today granted bail
to self-styled godman Shiv Murat Dwivedi accused of running a
sex racket in the national capital.
"Accused Dwivedi is enlarged on bail on furnishing of a
personal and surety bond of Rs 25,000 each," Metropolitan
Magistrate Ravinder Singh said.
However, the grant of bail in the case lodged under
Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act will not enable Dwivedi, who
is in jail since February 26, this year, to come out of jail
as his another bail plea in a matter lodged under stringent
MCOCA is still pending.
The court allowed the plea of M S Khan, counsel for
Dwivedi, alias Ichchadhari Sant Swami Bhimanand Ji Maharaj
Chitrakootwale, that he deserved to be released on the ground
of "parity" as other seven co-accused, including six alleged
call girls, are already out on bail.
"Charges against the accused have already been framed. The
investigation in the case is over. Co-accused are already on
bail," defence lawyer said.
Now, the court would record statements of witnesses on
September 14 in the case lodged following the arrest six
alleged call girls in February this year from a locality in
South Delhi. Dwivedi and Praveen were nabbed subsequently.
Besides the present case, Dwivedi and his aide Praveen
have been booked under stringent MCOCA for running a sex
Police, however, are yet to complete the probe in the
case lodged under MCOCA.
Dwivedi allegedly amassed wealth by running the
sex racket and during custodial interrogation of the
self-styled godman, the police, at the instance of the
accused, have recovered documents relating to properties,
investments and bank details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre