Court grants bail to "godman" in sex racket case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today granted bail
to self-styled godman Shiv Murat Dwivedi accused of running a
sex racket in the national capital.
"Accused Dwivedi is enlarged on bail on furnishing of a
personal and surety bond of Rs 25,000 each," Metropolitan
Magistrate Ravinder Singh said.
However, the grant of bail in the case lodged under
Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act will not enable Dwivedi, who
is in jail since February 26, this year, to come out of jail
as his another bail plea in a matter lodged under stringent
MCOCA is still pending.
The court allowed the plea of M S Khan, counsel for
Dwivedi, alias Ichchadhari Sant Swami Bhimanand Ji Maharaj
Chitrakootwale, that he deserved to be released on the ground
of "parity" as other seven co-accused, including six alleged
call girls, are already out on bail.
"Charges against the accused have already been framed. The
investigation in the case is over. Co-accused are already on
bail," defence lawyer said.
Now, the court would record statements of witnesses on
September 14 in the case lodged following the arrest six
alleged call girls in February this year from a locality in
South Delhi. Dwivedi and Praveen were nabbed subsequently.
Besides the present case, Dwivedi and his aide Praveen
have been booked under stringent MCOCA for running a sex
Police, however, are yet to complete the probe in the
case lodged under MCOCA.
Dwivedi allegedly amassed wealth by running the
sex racket and during custodial interrogation of the
self-styled godman, the police, at the instance of the
accused, have recovered documents relating to properties,
investments and bank details.
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore
- Netaji files declassification: Morarji had declined to accept inquiry commissions report
- OMG! 25,000 women died due to dowry in last two years, says govt
- India's investments into UK more than doubled in 2015
- Motorola expected to launch Moto G (4th Gen) handset on May 17