Court grants bail to man who hurled shoe at judge
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday granted bail to a man who threw a shoe at a judge yesterday soon after he acquitted Congress leader Sajjan Kumar of all charges in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
Metropolitan Magistrate Muneesh Garg granted bail to 43-year-old Karnail Singh who had hurled a shoe at District Judge J R Aryan who pronounced the verdict in the riots case.
The court granted bail to All India Sikhs Students Federation President Karnail Singh Peer Mohammed on furnishing of a personal bond of Rs 20,000 and two sureties of like amount and also asked him not to leave the country as part of the bail conditions.
Earlier in the day, the court had sent him to judicial custody till May 15, subsequent to which he had moved the plea seeking bail.
The prosecution opposed his bail plea saying his act was meant to "hamper court proceedings" and show "disrespect" to a senior judicial officer.
Advocate Kamna Vohra, appearing for Singh, countered the prosecution`s contention saying the incident had occurred after the proceedings were over and added that her client has been coming to the court, in the riots case, for last three years regularly and has never behaved like this.
"There was no intention to harm the district judge. It was only after the court acquitted Sajjan Kumar that Singh was shocked and to vent his anger, he just hurled the shoe in the air and not towards the judge. His intention was not to disrespect and hurt the judge," the counsel said.
She said the court granted bail to Singh after considering that he is a middle-aged person and have clean antecedents.
After the incident, Singh was detained by the police within the court complex. He was arrested later in the evening.
A case under sections 186 (obstructing public servant from discharging duties) and 353 (assault) of the Indian Penal Code has been registered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen