Court issues production warrant for Ajay Chautala
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday sought before it the presence of sitting Haryana MLA Ajay Chautala in a disproportionate assets case in which he is an accused.
Special CBI Judge Manu Rai Sethi issued the production warrant for Chautala for March 5 as he was not brought to the court from jail, where he is lodged after he was sentenced to a 10-year prison term in another corruption case.
CBI had in March 2010 charge sheeted former Haryana Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala, Ajay Chautala and Abhay Chautala for allegedly possessing assets far exceeding their legal income between 1993 and 2006.
O P Chautala and Ajay Chautala were sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a Delhi court on January 22 for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior basic trained (JBT) teachers in the state in 2000.
CBI had registered three separate disproportionate assets cases against Chautalas on a complaint by Haryana Congress leader Shamsher Singh Surjewala.
Earlier, all the three cases were being heard in different courts and were shifted to one court on CBI`s plea that all cases be transferred before a single judge as their trials at three different courts will lead to inordinate delay in concluding them.
In its charge sheet, CBI had alleged that O P Chautala`s wealth was 189 per cent more than his income of Rs 3.22 crore during the period.
CBI had also said that Ajay was possessing assets exceeding his legal income by 339.27 per cent. His legal income between May 1993 and May 2006 was Rs 8.17 crore, CBI had said, alleging he acquired assets worth Rs 27.7 crore.
According to the probe agency, Abhay owned assets worth over five times his income of Rs 22.89 crore as per income tax records during the 2000-2005 period. The agency has claimed he possessed Rs 119.69 crore worth of assets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city