Court notice to West Delhi MP in kidnapping and rape case
New Delhi: A fast-track court here on Monday sought responses of sitting Congress MP Mahabal Mishra and his family members for their alleged role in the kidnapping and rape of a minor girl in 2006.
Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat issued a notice to Mishra, his wife Urmila Mishra, daughter Kiran and brother Hira Mishra in the case and fix the matter for further hearing on February 8.
The judge has asked them to appear before it after going through the case in which they have been accused of wrongfully confining the girl.
A magisterial court in 2008 and a sessions court in 2010 had declined to summon Mishra in the case on the ground of lack of evidence and legal provisions.
The Delhi High Court in 2012, however, set aside the trial court`s order and directed it to consider the case afresh after the girl`s father moved the High Court seeking initiation of prosecution of Mishra and his family members, and also one Kanshi Ram, for their alleged involvement in the case.
The High Court had set aside the orders of the sessions and the magisterial courts saying they were "not based on proper appreciation of the material available on record."
The father-daughter duo had alleged she was confined at Mishra`s office at Mahavir Enclave in West Delhi and his brother`s house for some days after being kidnapped and that his family members told her to marry the prime accused Pradeep Sehrawat who faces the rape charge.
The case relates to an incident in November, 2006 when Sehrawat had allegedly kidnapped the 16-year-old when she was on her way to tuition in a West Delhi locality.
The police had already chargesheeted Sehrawat and his four other accomplices - Devender, Sunil, Surendra and Satinder in the case.
In a supplementary chargesheet filed later, the police had also mentioned the names of Mishra and his family members in its column 2 meant for the suspects but having no evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore