Court notice to West Delhi MP in kidnapping and rape case
New Delhi: A fast-track court here on Monday sought responses of sitting Congress MP Mahabal Mishra and his family members for their alleged role in the kidnapping and rape of a minor girl in 2006.
Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat issued a notice to Mishra, his wife Urmila Mishra, daughter Kiran and brother Hira Mishra in the case and fix the matter for further hearing on February 8.
The judge has asked them to appear before it after going through the case in which they have been accused of wrongfully confining the girl.
A magisterial court in 2008 and a sessions court in 2010 had declined to summon Mishra in the case on the ground of lack of evidence and legal provisions.
The Delhi High Court in 2012, however, set aside the trial court`s order and directed it to consider the case afresh after the girl`s father moved the High Court seeking initiation of prosecution of Mishra and his family members, and also one Kanshi Ram, for their alleged involvement in the case.
The High Court had set aside the orders of the sessions and the magisterial courts saying they were "not based on proper appreciation of the material available on record."
The father-daughter duo had alleged she was confined at Mishra`s office at Mahavir Enclave in West Delhi and his brother`s house for some days after being kidnapped and that his family members told her to marry the prime accused Pradeep Sehrawat who faces the rape charge.
The case relates to an incident in November, 2006 when Sehrawat had allegedly kidnapped the 16-year-old when she was on her way to tuition in a West Delhi locality.
The police had already chargesheeted Sehrawat and his four other accomplices - Devender, Sunil, Surendra and Satinder in the case.
In a supplementary chargesheet filed later, the police had also mentioned the names of Mishra and his family members in its column 2 meant for the suspects but having no evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...