Court orders arrest of accused for threatening witnesses
New Delhi: A Delhi court has ordered the
arrest of three accused facing trial in a robbery case, taking
a serious view of charges of threatening the witnesses against
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann cancelled
the bail of the accused and also directed the police to take
action against them, saying that some cognisable offences were
apparently made out for allegedly intimidating the witnesses.
"In the facts and circumstances, it appears that the
accused are trying to harass, intimidate, threaten and induce
the witnesses," the court said, directing the police to take
accused Mohd Nasir, Nazim and Mohd Salim into custody.
An application was made on behalf of the public witnesses
in the court on November 19 last stating that as they were
waiting outside for the matter to be called, somebody came and
threatened them saying that they were wasting their time and
that they should take money and go back to their native place
The accused, who were asked to explain the incident, took
the alibi that they were with their lawyers then and blamed it
on some touts who used to approach the parties and witnesses
on their own and then charge the money.
"If the witnesses get frightened and succumb to the
inducement or threats, the benefit goes directly to the
accused and nobody else. Though the accused did not threaten
the witnesses themselves but it is understandable and obvious
that they will not do so personally," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’