Court raps Delhi Police IO for `misuse` of powers
New Delhi: Coming down heavily on a Delhi Police investigating officer (IO) for falsely implicating a person in a case of rash and negligent driving, a court here said he deserved the highest form of castigation and disciplinary action so that it would deter others like him who intend to misuse their powers against innocent people.
"The facts of the present case reveal how the emboldened unscrupulous field IO, go on a rampage and curtail the liberty of innocent citizens by gross misuse of their powers by implicating them falsely for the reasons best known to them," Metropolitan Magistrate Ashok Kumar said.
"The complainant might have been in the dock and the accused a free man instead, but to much astonishment of the court, the IO has misused his powers, so much that exactly reverse has happened.
"This brazen misuse of powers deserves the highest form of castigation and disciplinary action in a way which has the tendency to create an example to such like field officers who intend to use their power to the detriment of innocent citizens," the magistrate said.
The court`s remarks came while acquitting Delhi resident M C Rastogi, who was accused of injuring pedestrian Chandan Das by his rash and negligent driving on April 30, 2011. An FIR was lodged against Rastogi at KM Pur Police Station for rashly and negligently driving his car near Vikas Sadan here.
While acquitting Rastogi of the charges of rash and negligent driving and injuring a person, the court in its judgement said it was clear from the facts and circumstances that he has been "deliberately and falsely implicated".
The court also issued show cause notice to IO, head constable Sangeet, asking why adverse action be not taken against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’