Court rejects plea for FIR against Congress MLA
New Delhi: A Delhi court has dismissed a plea seeking direction to police for registration of an FIR against three-time Congress MLA Karan Singh for alleged land encroachment, tax evasion, cheating and corruption.
"There is no ground for directing the police to investigate the matter...There is nothing for which the police assistance is necessary to be called for. The grounds cited in my considered opinion do not require assistance of police for collecting evidence," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate D K Jangala said.
The court passed the order while dismissing the plea of RTI activist Vivek Garg for registration of an FIR against Singh, an MLA from Model Town constituency.
Garg had in his complaint alleged that Singh was running a petrol pump in northwest Delhi on an encroached piece of government land worth Rs 50 crore and had evaded water and house taxes worth crores.
Relying on various RTI replies, he had also alleged that Singh was running the petrol pump illegally without MCD licence for over 40 years and also without any water connection and has stolen water worth several lakhs of rupees. He also said Singh had evaded payment of house tax.
On the allegation of land encroachment, the court said, "As per the report placed on record by the complainant, the retail outlet/ petrol pump was allotted by the BPCL in 1953. None of the land owning agency has alleged or disclosed any encroachment on government land."
The ACMM also said, "The non payment of house tax or water charges does not come within definition of offences defined under the Indian Penal Code. The complainant has no right to ask the court to direct the police to register the FIR for non-payment of water charges/ house tax without the complaint filed by the concerned department."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre