Court reserves order on Kanda`s interim bail plea
New Delhi: A Delhi Court Wednesday reserved its order on the interim bail plea of former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, an accused in a case related to suicide of a former air hostess.
Additional Sessions Judge MC Gupta reserved the order after Kanda`s counsel and the prosecution concluded their arguments on the plea seeking interim bail to allow him to attend the state assembly session.
Delhi Police also moved an application for reducing the period of interim bail granted to Kanda`s co-accused Aruna Chaddha. She was granted interim bail Tuesday till Nov 11.
Kanda`s counsel told the court that he wanted to attend the assembly session for which he was seeking interim bail.
"He is a legislator from Sirsa, which is a big constituency. He has to perform many obligations and welfare activities for his people. Funds for his constituency are lying unutilised. The public is suffering," the lawyer said.
Kanda has been in custody for over 13 months.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan opposed Kanda`s interim bail, saying there was reasonable apprehension of his tampering with the evidence.
"In February, there was a session of Haryana assembly. When Kanda did not feel the need to seek bail for attending it, why is he seeking interim bail for this session? There is reasonable apprehension of him tampering with the evidence," he said.
It was further added that eight prosecution witnesses had been examined and many prosecution witnesses were current and former employees of Kanda.
Kanda and Chaddha were accused of abetting the suicide of a 23-year-old former air hostess. Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegations.
In a note, the suicide victim accused Kanda and Chaddha of harassing her and forcing her to kill herself. She died on the intervening night of Aug 4-5, 2012, at her house in Delhi.
Kanda was charged with rape, abetment of rape, abetment of suicide, criminal conspiracy, forgery under the Indian Penal Code and Information Technology Act for hacking computers and sending offensive or false messages.
He was arrested Aug 18, 2012, after he surrendered before police in north Delhi`s Ashok Vihar area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe