Court restrains BSES YPL from disconnecting power supply
New Delhi: A Delhi court has restrained power distribution firm BSES YPL from disconnecting the electricity supply to the house of a woman, accused of stealing power, saying "electricity is a basic need" in present days.
The court gave the order on Delhi resident Noor Jahan`s plea observing that "electricity is basic need of every human electricity supply till final disposal of the case.
It, however, stipulated that Jahan, against whom the discom had raised a bill of over Rs 87,000 for alleged power theft, to deposit 45 per cent of the bill to BSES YPL within a month, failing which the order granting interim protection to her would get cancelled.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Shahabuddin allowed the petition saying Jahan "is likely to suffer great hardships, if electricity is disconnected at the suit property and in that way, the balance of convenience also lies in favour of the plaintiff (Jahan)."
"The plaintiff is likely to suffer irreparable losses, if electricity is disconnected at the suit property at this stage," the court said.
Jahan had approached the court saying BSES YPL had issued disconnection notice in October this year against her property without any justified reasons and if the power supply was disconnected, she would suffer loss.
The woman sought court`s direction to the discom and its officials for not disconnecting the electricity supply.
BSES YPL opposed her plea saying that the bill of over Rs 87,000 was rightly raised against her and she had not paid the amount.
The judge, however, restrained the discom from snapping the power supply saying "I allow the application of plaintiff (Jahan)... And restrain the defendants along with their officials from disconnecting the supply of electricity..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj