Court summons Jagdish Tytler in a defamation case
New Delhi: Congress leader Jagdish Tytler was on Thursday issued summons by a Delhi court to respond to the allegations of defaming a lawyer fighting for the rights of several 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Amit
Bansal issued summons to Tytler, asking him to appear before
his court on April 11 to respond to advocate H S Phoolka`s
allegation of defaming him.
Phoolka alleged Tytler had made a derogatory remark
against him in a news programme aired on a news channel on
September 7, 2004.
Phoolka said the "false and derogatory" allegations
levelled by Tytler against him has harmed his reputation in
Reading out a portion of the complaint in the court,
advocate Kamna Vohra, appearing for Phoolka, said Tytler
should be prosecuted also for the alleged offence of criminal
The counsel sought time to file an application for adding
section 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC against the
"In furtherance of his intention to scare and silence the
complainant (Phoolka), the accused (Tytler) extended threat to
the complainant vide his statement made in a (TV) programme...
thereby, clearly conveying his intention to liquidate the
complainant and by doing so he has tried to instill fear and
sense of insecurity in the mind of the complainant," the
The case against Tytler had been filed in a Ludhiana court
in Punjab. It was transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court
later on Tytler`s plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price