Court to speed up trial of Maoist Kobad Ghandy
New Delhi: To speed up legal proceedings in a
case involving top Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy`s alleged bid to
set up a base of his banned outfit in the capital, a Delhi
court on Thursday asked the city police to file a synopsis of its
argument on framing of charges against him.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain asked the
police to submit its synopsis of arguments, after Ghandy filed
his own contentions in writing opposing framing of charges
The top Maoist functionary was chargesheeted by the Delhi
Police under various stringent charges of Unlawful Activities
Prevention Act, besides those of cheating, forgery and
impersonation under the Indian Penal Code.
The court gave the direction for expediting its
proceedings in the case as charges against Ghandy are yet to
be framed despite the fact the charge sheet against him was
filed in February 2010.
64-year-old Ghandy was arrested by Special Cell of Delhi
Police in September 2009. The prosecution has accused him and
his associates of trying to set up a Maoist base in the
The investigators, who claimed to have recovered a fake
voter identity and pan cards from Ghandy, also referred to a
CD in which he was shown to be addressing armed cadres of the
The investigators have also pointed out that after his
arrest, Jharkhand Police Inspector Francis Induwar was killed
on October 6, last year and leaflets were distributed in
Maharashtra calling for bandh in protest against his
An alumni of the prestigious Doon School, Ghandy is said
to be part of the top leadership of erstwhile CPI-ML (People`s
War Group) since 1981 and continued as a Central Committee
member of CPI (Maoist). He was elevated to its Politburo in
Ghandy is also accused in the killings of Congress leader
Chittem Narsi Reddy, his son Chittem Venkateswara Reddy and 7
others by Maoists in Narayanapet in Mahbubnagar district on
August 15, 2005.
He is currently lodged in Tihar Jail and is facing trial
in around 20 criminal cases in different parts of the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!