Court transfers cases relating to two IM suspects
New Delhi: The cases relating to two
suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists, allegedly involved in
the serial blasts here on September 13, 2008, were Monday transferred to a sessions court for initiating proceedings
relating to trial.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Kaveri Baweja sent
the files relating to Shahzad and Salman to the district judge
for marking it to Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann,
who is already hearing the matter relating to other accused.
The court fixed the next hearing for May 29.
The CMM transferred the cases on completion of
procedural formalities to a sessions court, which is called
committal (transfer) proceedings.
It was necessitated as only the sessions judge is
empowered to deal with the matter involving murder, attempt to
murder and waging war against the country.
The court had on May 20 directed the Delhi Police`s
Special Cell, which investigated the cases relating to serial
blasts, to hand over copies of the chargesheets to Iftikhar
Ansari, counsel for accused Salman and Shahzad.
The police had filed the chargesheets against the duo
on May 15.
Both the accused had remained elusive for several
months before being apprehended from Uttar Pradesh. Their
names had emerged after the arrests of other accused following
the Batla House encounter here on September 19, 2008.
The sessions court is likely to start hearing arguments
on framing of charges against the accused from June 1.
The sessions court is conducting the proceedings in the
blast cases through video conferencing as out of total 14
suspects, several are lodged in Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad
for their alleged role in serial blasts there.
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial
blasts in Delhi on September 13, 2008 in which 26 people were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India