Court transfers cases relating to two IM suspects
New Delhi: The cases relating to two
suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists, allegedly involved in
the serial blasts here on September 13, 2008, were Monday transferred to a sessions court for initiating proceedings
relating to trial.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Kaveri Baweja sent
the files relating to Shahzad and Salman to the district judge
for marking it to Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann,
who is already hearing the matter relating to other accused.
The court fixed the next hearing for May 29.
The CMM transferred the cases on completion of
procedural formalities to a sessions court, which is called
committal (transfer) proceedings.
It was necessitated as only the sessions judge is
empowered to deal with the matter involving murder, attempt to
murder and waging war against the country.
The court had on May 20 directed the Delhi Police`s
Special Cell, which investigated the cases relating to serial
blasts, to hand over copies of the chargesheets to Iftikhar
Ansari, counsel for accused Salman and Shahzad.
The police had filed the chargesheets against the duo
on May 15.
Both the accused had remained elusive for several
months before being apprehended from Uttar Pradesh. Their
names had emerged after the arrests of other accused following
the Batla House encounter here on September 19, 2008.
The sessions court is likely to start hearing arguments
on framing of charges against the accused from June 1.
The sessions court is conducting the proceedings in the
blast cases through video conferencing as out of total 14
suspects, several are lodged in Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad
for their alleged role in serial blasts there.
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial
blasts in Delhi on September 13, 2008 in which 26 people were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre