Court upholds conviction on 4-yr-old girl`s deposition
New Delhi: A Delhi court has upheld the
conviction of a man for beating and trying to outrage the
modesty of a four-year-old girl relying solely on her
deposition made three years after the alleged incident, saying
that a child is likely to remember unpleasant things for long.
"In my view, an unpleasant memory is likely to remain
fixed in the mind of a child and is likely to have a long term
impact, not only on her physical but also on her emotional
well-being," Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja said,
dismissing convict`s Mohd Saleem appeal against his conviction
and six-month jail term.
The sessions court dismissed Saleem`s contention that
the magisterial court had erred in placing strong reliance on
the testimony of the minor victim while convicting him.
It ignored the fact that no other eye witness was
produced in the court, he had contended.
Saleem was sentenced to six months in jail after he
was found guilty on charges of assaulting the minor girl with
an intention to outrage her modesty and intimidating her
mother Shabana, on whose complaint the case was registered.
Shabana had complained that Saleem had beaten up her
minor daughter and had tried to undress her to outrage her
modesty on May 5, 2005. She said he also threatened her.
Saleem had moved the sessions court contending that
the trial court had erred in convicting him as it could not
solely rely on the testimony of the victim who was just
four-year-old at the time of the alleged incident.
She could not have narrated the entire incident after
a lapse of three years while deposing in the court, he added.
The sessions court rejected his contention saying, "I
find myself unable to agree with the said argument that the
child victim would not be able to remember the incident in
question so as to depose in the court as in the present case.
"I am inclined to agree with the the trial court that
the testimony of the minor remained unshaken despite her
cross-examination," the ASJ said and directed that Saleem be
taken into custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof