CP shooting convict moves HC for 3 months parole
New Delhi: Delhi High Court has sought the city government and CBI`s response on a plea filed by a former police official, undergoing life term for killing two businessmen in a fake encounter at Connaught Place in 1997, seeking three months parole for medical treatment of his wife.
Issuing notices to Delhi government and CBI, a vacation bench of Justice Siddharth Mridul has sought their replies by July 15 on the plea of Mahavir Singh, a former head constable, seeking three months parole to attend his wife Sarda Devi who is a psychiatric patient.
In his plea, Singh said he is entitled for parole under the Furlough guidelines 2010.
As per the guidelines, a prisoner is entitled to seven weeks of furlough in a year. The first spell could consist of three weeks, while the subsequent spells would consist of two weeks each.
The other criteria include that the prisoner should have earned three annual good conduct remissions and continues to maintain good conduct. The sanctioning authority for furlough would be Director General, Prisons, and intimation would have to be made to the Home Department of Delhi government.
"The wife of the petitioner is a psychiatric patient and is undergoing treatment since last three years. However, her condition has become critical from 3rd week of June...As per the medical report, she is suffering from acute depression and having suicidal tendency," Singh said in the petition, filed through his counsel Sunil Upadhyay.
In October 2007, a trial court had convicted 10 policemen, including the then ACP S S Rathi and Singh, and awarded them life imprisonment for killing two Haryana-based businessmen on account of mistaken identity at Barakhamba Road in Connaught Place here in March 1997.
The other convicts are inspector Anil Kumar, SI Ashok Rana, head constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal Singh and Constables Sumer Singh, Subhash Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks