CP shooting convict moves HC for 3 months parole
New Delhi: Delhi High Court has sought the city government and CBI`s response on a plea filed by a former police official, undergoing life term for killing two businessmen in a fake encounter at Connaught Place in 1997, seeking three months parole for medical treatment of his wife.
Issuing notices to Delhi government and CBI, a vacation bench of Justice Siddharth Mridul has sought their replies by July 15 on the plea of Mahavir Singh, a former head constable, seeking three months parole to attend his wife Sarda Devi who is a psychiatric patient.
In his plea, Singh said he is entitled for parole under the Furlough guidelines 2010.
As per the guidelines, a prisoner is entitled to seven weeks of furlough in a year. The first spell could consist of three weeks, while the subsequent spells would consist of two weeks each.
The other criteria include that the prisoner should have earned three annual good conduct remissions and continues to maintain good conduct. The sanctioning authority for furlough would be Director General, Prisons, and intimation would have to be made to the Home Department of Delhi government.
"The wife of the petitioner is a psychiatric patient and is undergoing treatment since last three years. However, her condition has become critical from 3rd week of June...As per the medical report, she is suffering from acute depression and having suicidal tendency," Singh said in the petition, filed through his counsel Sunil Upadhyay.
In October 2007, a trial court had convicted 10 policemen, including the then ACP S S Rathi and Singh, and awarded them life imprisonment for killing two Haryana-based businessmen on account of mistaken identity at Barakhamba Road in Connaught Place here in March 1997.
The other convicts are inspector Anil Kumar, SI Ashok Rana, head constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal Singh and Constables Sumer Singh, Subhash Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users