CP shootout: Rs 15 lakh for victims` families
New Delhi: The Delhi government was on Monday directed to pay compensation of Rs 15 lakh each to the families of two businessmen 14 years after they were shot dead by a police team that mistook them for mobsters.
Justice S Muralidhar of the Delhi High Court said: "Compensation of Rs 15 lakh will be awarded to each of the families. However, the amount shall be distributed equally among the widow and the children."
Businessmen Pradeep Goel and Jagjit Singh were gunned down on March 31, 1997 by the now-suspended Assistant Commissioner of Police SS Rathi and nine other policemen in central Delhi`s business and shopping hub Connaught Place.
The case was transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which indicted the entire 10-member police team and prosecuted it for the killings.
The "callous" action of the police was aimed at getting accelerated promotions by claiming to have killed two gangsters, the CBI alleged. Rathi was, at that time, considered an "encounter specialist" of Delhi Police - a term used for those frequently engaged in shootouts with criminals.
The CBI also accused Rathi of feeding false information to senior police officers to claim innocence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears