CP shootout: Victim`s wife wants more compensation
New Delhi: The Centre was on Wednesday asked by the
Delhi High Court to respond to a plea for enhanced damages by
the wife of a businessman, shot dead by a Delhi Police team
in Connaught Place here 14 years ago in a case of mistaken
A bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice
Rajiv Sahai Endlaw issued notice to the Union Home Ministry
and sought its response by February 23 on the plea by Pradeep
Goyal`s widow Neema, seeking enhancement of the Rs 15 lakh
compensation awarded to her in July this year by a single-
While issuing notices to the ministry, the high court also
allowed Goyal to withdraw the compensation amount, already
deposited by the ministry with the high court`s registry as
per the court`s July 4 order.
"In the meantime, the appellant is at liberty to withdraw
the amount of compensation deposited with the registry of the
Delhi High Court without prejudice to her rights," said the
A 10-member police team, led by erstwhile Assistant
Commissioner of Police S S Rathi, which had fired upon Goyal`s
car on March 31, 1997 near Statesman House, were sentenced to
life imprisonment in the sensational case.
Goyal was killed along with another businessman Jagjit
Singh, while third businessman Tarun Preet Singh, who too was
accompanying them in their car, was seriously injured. Police
had mistaken Singh as a wanted gangster Mohd Yaseen.
Neema and Jaspal Kaur, Singh`s wife, had earlier sought Rs
two crore each as compensation. But the high court had awarded
them Rs 15 lakh each as compensation.
A single judge bench of Justice S Muralidhar had awarded
the compensation to the family of each of the victims, saying
there must be "zero tolerance" for criminal acts by men in
The court after considering the Supreme Court verdict
upholding life imprisonment to 10 policemen in the case had
also taken a strong exception to a provision of Delhi Police
(Punishment and Appeal) Rules allowing a cop to remain in
service even after his conviction as long as his appeal
The court had asked the home ministry to repeal that rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145