CPI-M asks Cong to announce Prez nominee first
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Sunday asked the Congress to formally announce its Presidential nominee first and said it will decide its stand on the top post only after that.
The party`s politburo at its meeting here discussed the feedback received during its discussions with leaders like SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and NCP chief Sharad Pawar.
The four Left parties had also met on Friday with their leaders favouring a consensus candidate for the President`s post.
CPI (M) sources said the Congress should first announce its nominee and a decision would be taken only after that. Today`s Politburo meeting, which came after the Kozhikhode party congress last month, also took stock of party`s organisational matters and decided work distribution among the top leadership.
Senior CPI-M leaders MA Baby, Surjakanta Mishra and AK Padmanabhan, the new faces in the politburo, also attended the meeting. Former West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee was absent on health grounds.
The CPI (M) leadership is also understood to have decided to keenly watch the meeting between West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Kolkata tomorrow.
After the meeting, Biman Basu, who is also the West Bengal Left Front Chairman expressed surprise over reports that Clinton would be discussing issues like Teesta river water sharing and FDI in retail with Banerjee.
Basu told reporters the Teesta issue is a bilateral matter between India and Bangladesh, while FDI in retail is a purely internal matter of India. There can be no outside interference in these matters, he said.
"The US must not interfere in internal matters. CMs must speak to PM. US interference can`t be tolerated," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter