CPI MP moves privilege notice against Attorney General
New Delhi: A privilege notice has been moved in the Lok Sabha by CPI member Gurudas Dasgupta against Attorney General G E Vahanvati, alleging "impediments" in performance of his duties as an MP.
Acknowledging the receipt of the notice, Speaker Meira Kumar said it is under her consideration.
"I have received your notice on the question of privilege against the Attorney General of India for causing impediments in performance of your duties as a Member of Parliament by getting issued on his behalf a legal notice to you.
"The matter is under my consideration," the Speaker told Dasgupta in the Lok Sabha.
It was not clear as to what "impediments" were made in performance of his duties as an MP.
Later, the CPI leader told a news agency that he had "received some sensitive information regarding certain foreign bank accounts. I had wanted the Prime Minister (through a letter) to enquire and verify this information."
Maintaining that this was "a privileged letter" to the Prime Minister, he said following the letter, Vahanvati sent legal notices to him in the matter.
Dasgupta refused to elaborate on the contents of his letter to the Prime Minister but said he had pointed out "certain irregularities" and wanted them verified.
Repeated attempts to contact Vahanvati for his reaction did not fructify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers