CPI MP moves privilege notice against Attorney General
New Delhi: A privilege notice has been moved in the Lok Sabha by CPI member Gurudas Dasgupta against Attorney General G E Vahanvati, alleging "impediments" in performance of his duties as an MP.
Acknowledging the receipt of the notice, Speaker Meira Kumar said it is under her consideration.
"I have received your notice on the question of privilege against the Attorney General of India for causing impediments in performance of your duties as a Member of Parliament by getting issued on his behalf a legal notice to you.
"The matter is under my consideration," the Speaker told Dasgupta in the Lok Sabha.
It was not clear as to what "impediments" were made in performance of his duties as an MP.
Later, the CPI leader told a news agency that he had "received some sensitive information regarding certain foreign bank accounts. I had wanted the Prime Minister (through a letter) to enquire and verify this information."
Maintaining that this was "a privileged letter" to the Prime Minister, he said following the letter, Vahanvati sent legal notices to him in the matter.
Dasgupta refused to elaborate on the contents of his letter to the Prime Minister but said he had pointed out "certain irregularities" and wanted them verified.
Repeated attempts to contact Vahanvati for his reaction did not fructify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands