CPI MP moves privilege notice against Attorney General
New Delhi: A privilege notice has been moved in the Lok Sabha by CPI member Gurudas Dasgupta against Attorney General G E Vahanvati, alleging "impediments" in performance of his duties as an MP.
Acknowledging the receipt of the notice, Speaker Meira Kumar said it is under her consideration.
"I have received your notice on the question of privilege against the Attorney General of India for causing impediments in performance of your duties as a Member of Parliament by getting issued on his behalf a legal notice to you.
"The matter is under my consideration," the Speaker told Dasgupta in the Lok Sabha.
It was not clear as to what "impediments" were made in performance of his duties as an MP.
Later, the CPI leader told a news agency that he had "received some sensitive information regarding certain foreign bank accounts. I had wanted the Prime Minister (through a letter) to enquire and verify this information."
Maintaining that this was "a privileged letter" to the Prime Minister, he said following the letter, Vahanvati sent legal notices to him in the matter.
Dasgupta refused to elaborate on the contents of his letter to the Prime Minister but said he had pointed out "certain irregularities" and wanted them verified.
Repeated attempts to contact Vahanvati for his reaction did not fructify.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price