CPI presses govt for immediate decision on Telangana
New Delhi: The CPI on Wednesday asked the government
to take an immediate decision on Telangana statehood demand,
saying any further consultations on the issue would be "an
exercise in futility" as all parties have already given their
With the agitation in the region of Andhra Pradesh
entering the 24th day and the administration being "totally
paralysed", CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan said "the people
have spoken" on the issue.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, he said the
political parties have also made their stand clear on the
bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh and creation of a separate state
"A decision on the separate state of Telangana together
with the time-plate for its urgent and early realisation" be
taken forthwith, Bardhan said, adding that any "further
consultation is an exercise in futility".
"You are no doubt aware that the CPI has long back
declared its support for Telangana together with all
safeguards for the residual state. All parties are now
demanding that the Government must take a firm and final
decision on the matter without further delay," he said.
Observing that the situation was going from "bad to
worse" with the economy being hit hard and people suffering,
he said, "I am surprised that the state government is
resorting to intimidation and repression on the agitating
Bardhan alleged that the state government was also
"denying much needed power and water for the kharif crop in
Telangana. This can only provoke the people further and add
fuel to the fire".
Noting that the agitation has remained "remarkably
peaceful", he said the CPI was particular that there should be
no flare up of animosity between the two Telugu-speaking parts
of Andhra Pradesh and "the parting should be as brothers".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed