CPI presses govt for immediate decision on Telangana
New Delhi: The CPI on Wednesday asked the government
to take an immediate decision on Telangana statehood demand,
saying any further consultations on the issue would be "an
exercise in futility" as all parties have already given their
With the agitation in the region of Andhra Pradesh
entering the 24th day and the administration being "totally
paralysed", CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan said "the people
have spoken" on the issue.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, he said the
political parties have also made their stand clear on the
bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh and creation of a separate state
"A decision on the separate state of Telangana together
with the time-plate for its urgent and early realisation" be
taken forthwith, Bardhan said, adding that any "further
consultation is an exercise in futility".
"You are no doubt aware that the CPI has long back
declared its support for Telangana together with all
safeguards for the residual state. All parties are now
demanding that the Government must take a firm and final
decision on the matter without further delay," he said.
Observing that the situation was going from "bad to
worse" with the economy being hit hard and people suffering,
he said, "I am surprised that the state government is
resorting to intimidation and repression on the agitating
Bardhan alleged that the state government was also
"denying much needed power and water for the kharif crop in
Telangana. This can only provoke the people further and add
fuel to the fire".
Noting that the agitation has remained "remarkably
peaceful", he said the CPI was particular that there should be
no flare up of animosity between the two Telugu-speaking parts
of Andhra Pradesh and "the parting should be as brothers".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note