CPI protests diesel price rise and FDI in retail trade
New Delhi: Protesting against the recent hike in diesel price, introduction of FDI in retail and cap on cooking gas cyliners, the CPI Monday asked the transporters, shopkeepers and traders` organisations join them in nation-wide agitation on Thursday.
"The UPA government is striking one cruel blow after another. It raised the price of diesel by Rs 5 per litre and restricted subsidised gas cylinder per family to six, meaning the rest would have to be bought at the market price, which is more than double.
"The decision to open multi-brand retail trade to foreign
supermarket chains will endanger the livelihood of more than four crore people in retail trade," the CPI said, while staging a protest at the Jantar Mantar here.
Demanding rollback of hike in diesel prices, cap on cylinder refill and introduction of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
The protest comes in the wake of Union government`s last week decision to raise price of diesel by Rs 5, withdraw subsidy on more than six cylinders a year and allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail.
Holding placards and shouting slogans, the party members alleged that the government`s decision has badly hit people.
Led by CPI general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy and MP D Raja, other party leaders appealed people and farmers, workers, women and youth to protest against Centre`s anti-people policies.
They also asked transporters, shopkeepers and traders` organisations to hold hartals, picket, demonstrate and court arrest in the forthcoming all India protest day announced by eight parties on September 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP