CPI protests diesel price rise and FDI in retail trade
New Delhi: Protesting against the recent hike in diesel price, introduction of FDI in retail and cap on cooking gas cyliners, the CPI Monday asked the transporters, shopkeepers and traders` organisations join them in nation-wide agitation on Thursday.
"The UPA government is striking one cruel blow after another. It raised the price of diesel by Rs 5 per litre and restricted subsidised gas cylinder per family to six, meaning the rest would have to be bought at the market price, which is more than double.
"The decision to open multi-brand retail trade to foreign
supermarket chains will endanger the livelihood of more than four crore people in retail trade," the CPI said, while staging a protest at the Jantar Mantar here.
Demanding rollback of hike in diesel prices, cap on cylinder refill and introduction of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
The protest comes in the wake of Union government`s last week decision to raise price of diesel by Rs 5, withdraw subsidy on more than six cylinders a year and allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail.
Holding placards and shouting slogans, the party members alleged that the government`s decision has badly hit people.
Led by CPI general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy and MP D Raja, other party leaders appealed people and farmers, workers, women and youth to protest against Centre`s anti-people policies.
They also asked transporters, shopkeepers and traders` organisations to hold hartals, picket, demonstrate and court arrest in the forthcoming all India protest day announced by eight parties on September 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies