CPI(M) welcomes CCS decisions on Kashmir
New Delhi: Welcoming the government`s eight- point initiative on Jammu and Kashmir, the CPI(M) on Saturday said a review of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) should be positively considered by the Unified Command in the state.
"It is good that the government has taken these decisions, particularly on the release of the youths, review of cases of detainees under the Public Safety Act (PSA) and
compensation," party Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said
He said all the decisions, taken by the Cabinet Committee on Security after the recent visit of a parliamentary delegation to the state, "must be operationalised immediately".
"However, the issues of AFSPA and the action to be initiated on proven cases of excesses (by security forces) still remain to be attended," Yechury said, expressing hope that when the Unified Command meets in Srinagar, these issues would be reviewed and "positively considered".
"The long-pending assurances and promises made for the rehabilitation of Kashmiri Pandits and others must be immediately implemented," Yechury said.
He said the political goodwill generated by the visit of the parliamentary delegation "must be carried forward and the confidence-building measures consolidated by the group of interlocutors that the government has said it will constitute".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda