Crimes against Northeast people: HC raps police for non-compliance
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday criticized the city police for not complying "properly" with its several directions to curb hate crimes against the people from Northeast in the national capital.
"Have you given the wide publicity in television, radio and in the print media of your helpline number: 1093? The effort taken so far is not satisfactory. You have not done it," a bench headed by acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed said.
The bench had earlier issued a slew of directions, including publicising the helpline number meant for persons hailing from North-East and sensitising the police force towards the peoples from that region.
Besides recruiting North-East citizens in police, the bench had also asked it to establish a special unit on the lines of Crime Against Women (CAW) cell to redress the grievances of persons of that region.
"With regard to our direction to give adequate publicity to the helpline number, Delhi Police has indicated that handbills have been displayed and notices pasted in police stations. However, we think wider publicity is needed and it should use radio, TV, and print media to advertise it, the bench said and asked the police to file a fresh status report.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today