Criminal proceedings quashed against Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday quashed criminal proceedings against former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar who is facing trial for using allegedly derogatory
remarks against a particular community on March 11, 2002.
Justice VK Shalli quashed the proceedings under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act after the court was informed that the parties concern have settled the issue out of court and sought quashing of the FIR against the political leader.
On March 11, 2002 a complaint was filed by CS Rachhoya, who belongs to Scheduled Caste, after Kumar, also facing trial in several cases for his involvement in a 1984
anti-Sikh riot case, had allegedly made some remarks against him and asked him to withdraw candidature from a local election.
According to Rachhoya, a complaint was lodged with the Nangloi police station in 2002 but no action was taken against Kumar and in 2005 he had filed a complaint before the
magistrate seeking Kumar`s prosecution under the SC/ST Act.
The trial court had taken cognisance of Rachhoya`s complaint and in 2006 Kumar had obtained bail from the Delhi High Court.
The court, however, had rejected Kumar`s plea for quashing of the criminal proceeding while asking the parties to settle the issue amicably.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof