Criminal proceedings quashed against Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday quashed criminal proceedings against former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar who is facing trial for using allegedly derogatory
remarks against a particular community on March 11, 2002.
Justice VK Shalli quashed the proceedings under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act after the court was informed that the parties concern have settled the issue out of court and sought quashing of the FIR against the political leader.
On March 11, 2002 a complaint was filed by CS Rachhoya, who belongs to Scheduled Caste, after Kumar, also facing trial in several cases for his involvement in a 1984
anti-Sikh riot case, had allegedly made some remarks against him and asked him to withdraw candidature from a local election.
According to Rachhoya, a complaint was lodged with the Nangloi police station in 2002 but no action was taken against Kumar and in 2005 he had filed a complaint before the
magistrate seeking Kumar`s prosecution under the SC/ST Act.
The trial court had taken cognisance of Rachhoya`s complaint and in 2006 Kumar had obtained bail from the Delhi High Court.
The court, however, had rejected Kumar`s plea for quashing of the criminal proceeding while asking the parties to settle the issue amicably.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!