CRPF trooper`s wife found dead, dowry case filed
New Delhi: A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper`s wife was found hanging from a ceiling fan inside her in-law`s residence in south Delhi Thursday morning, police said. Her family members have registered a case of dowry death.
Kalpana, 26, a resident of Uttar Pradesh`s Rae Bareli, was found hanging from her room in her in-law`s house in Meethapur area. Her in-laws took her to a nearby hospital where doctors declared her dead. Hospital authorities then informed police about the incident.
Kalpana married Sandeep Kumar four years ago and resided with her in-law`s family.
Sandeep Kumar is presently posted at the New Delhi railway station.
Her brother, Sajjan, registered a police complaint against her in-laws, alleging that she might have been murdered and the death made to seem a suicide. However, her husband`s family denied the allegations.
"She had been tortured for dowry since after her marriage. Her in-laws used to beat her for dowry. Three days before her death she was also beaten up," he alleged in the complaint.
Kalpana`s family told police that at the time of her marriage, they gave Rs.5 lakh dowry. But, the in-laws` next demand came within few months after her marriage.
A case of dowry has been registered against victim`s husband, and in-laws and inquiry into the case is on to find out the exact reason behind her death, said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list