Crucial Barapullah Nallah elevated road project completed
New Delhi: Just nine days ahead of the
Commonwealth Games, Delhi government could finally complete
the crucial Barapullah Nallah elevated road project, linking
the athletes` village with the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, the
main venue of the event.
The four-km-long six-lane road between Sarai Kale Khan
and Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, built at a cost of over Rs 550
crore will be inaugurated tomorrow. A trial run on the road
was carried out today.
The road will now be exclusively used for ferrying
Games participants from the athletes` village near Akshardham
temple to the main venue and vice versa.
The project has already missed several deadlines and
the city government had faced criticism for the persistent
delay in its completion. PWD officials blamed "unprecedented
rains" for the delay.
Constructed on a Nullah bed by Delhi government`s
Public Works Department, the road will be opened for general
traffic after the Games and will serve as an important link
for East Delhi, South and central Delhi.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has already announced
that the elevated road will further be extended up to INA
market so that people from East Delhi and Noida could reach
south Delhi without using the Ring Road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog