Curfew continues in Mendhar, Poonch towns
Jammu: Army conducted a flag-march in violence-hit Mendhar town of Poonch district where curfew continued in some places today after three persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob trying to set ablaze a missionary school.
Jammu and Kashmir Government has ordered a high level probe and booked a sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) along with five security men in connection with the firing.
"Curfew continues in Poonch and Mendhar border towns of Poonch district. Curfew entered third consecutive day in Poonch and second day in Mendhar", police officials said.
The law and order situation is tense in Mendhar but under control, they said. Army staged a flag march in the violence-hit town last night.
Three persons were killed and 13 others were injured when police opened fire on a mob trying to set ablaze a missionary school while protesting the alleged desecration of
a holy book in Mendhar town yesterday.
Senior divisional level officials including divisional commissioner, Jammu province, Pawan Kotwal and Inspector General of Police (IGP), Jammu zone, Ashok Gupta along with legistors -Javed Rana, M R Quarishi, Mustaq Bukhari and Rashpal Singh were camping in the town.
As tension and protests continued in the town, Army officials late last night facilitated a meeting between irate senior citizens and families of the deceased persons, state
government officials and legislators at the Army camp, defence sources said.
The protestors were demanding registration of a case against the police, their suspension and their arrest in connection with the firing, they said, adding authorities later registered a case against SDPO Vivek Gupta and five of his body-guards - Abdul Hameed, Gyas Khan, Vishal Sharma, Mohmmad Ilyas and Mohmad Asi and attached them. Police registered cases under section 302 and 34 Ranbir Panel Code (RPC) against them for unprovoked firing on peaceful protesters, they said.
Government has also ordered a probe headed by the Divisional Commissioner Pawan Kotwal, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read