Custodial death: Notice to Delhi govt, Tihar jail
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday sought the response of the Delhi government, Tihar jail authorities and National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking an inquiry into custodial deaths of Tihar Jail inmates due to medical negligence.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw sought the reply by May 30, the next date of hearing.
Advocate Jose Abraham, in his PIL, had pointed out alleged medical negligence meted out to inmates of Tihar jail, especially the poor, who, he said, were being denied medical assistance even in case of extreme emergency and in many instances resulting in their deaths.
The petition cited the case of V.R. Santosh, a disabled inmate who died in Tihar Feb 25 due to alleged medical negligence.
It said Santosh was brought to the jail in December 2010. He was permanently disabled since 2005 and was dependent on a feeding tube. He could consume only liquid diet, which the jail authorities failed to provide, it said.
"Such incidents are everyday occurrence in Tihar. The inmates are not given proper medical assistance, even in critical circumstances, and are left to die. Even though there is a doctor in the jail, he is not responsive," the petition said.
It said the inmates were being given two-three medicines for all kinds of ailments.
It also said the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, where Tihar inmates are taken for treatment, was ill-equipped and over-burdened.
The petition sought an independent inquiry into all such custodial deaths and demanded adequate compensation for the kin of the deceased.
It also asked the court to seek the appointment of a panel of doctors who would visit the jail twice a month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'