Custodial deaths not uncommon in Tihar: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has awarded a
compensation of Rs 6.54 lakh to the family members of an
accused who was killed in Tihar jail, saying it is not an
"uncommon phenomenon" in the capital`s prison.
"The custodial deaths in Tihar jail are not an uncommon
phenomenon as is evident from some of the recorded cases,"
Justice S Muralidhar said while dismissing the plea of jail
authority that the prisoner had died because of self-inflicted
Vinod Kumar was killed under mysterious circumstances
just two days after he was sent to Tihar jail under judicial
custody by a court in 2007.
"The findings clearly point to the homicidal death of
late Vinod Kumar which took place while he was in judicial
custody in the Tihar jail. A clear case of violation of his
fundamental right under Article 21 of the Constitution has
been made out," the court said while pointing out the
post-mortem report of the deceased.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by the
wife of the accused pleading that her husband, who was the
sole earner of family, lost his life under mysterious
circumstances leading to family`s hardship.
"It is directed that the Government of National Capital
Territory of Delhi which is in-charge of the Tihar jail
complex will pay to the wife a sum of Rs 6,54,584 which
one-third will be payable to her and one-third each to the two
children," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India