Customs dept for regular screening of airport ground staff
New Delhi: Noting involvement of airport ground staff in smuggling cases, the Customs department has sought stricter due-diligence measures and regular screening of such personnel.
Besides, it has suggested a similar check on employees engaged by all airlines and cargo carriers operating under Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL).
The move assume significance after customs officials found involvement of airport ground staff, including those responsible for collecting garbage, loading and unloading cargo, maintaining inventory, cleaning and supervising other maintenance works, in illegal activities.
"We are going to write to DIAL and other airlines to ensure stricter check and regular screening of employees engaged by them (to check their involvement in smuggling)," VK Goel, Commissioner (Imports and General) at Indira Gandhi International Airport, said.
He said the Department has already asked the authorities to blacklist private firms engaged to do cleaning and other maintenance work at the airport if there employees are found involved in any illegal activities.
Customs officials had yesterday arrested three employees working under a private firm from the IGI airport for allegedly helping a passenger smuggle memory cards worth crores of rupees.
"There are instances in which private company employees have been found involved in smuggling. We have raised the issue during our meetings to discuss security arrangements with airport authority," a Customs official said.
In two separate cases yesterday, the Customs authorities had arrested Ravi and Pardeep Kumar, both residents of Sonepat, for allegedly trying to smuggle memory cards worth over Rs one crore. The duo had come from Hong Kong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video