Cut power use if you can`t afford high bill: Delhi CM
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Sunday urged people to reduce their electricity consumption if they cannot afford high power bills.
"If any family feels that electricity bill is out of their income (limit) and can`t bear it, then use one bulb instead of two. In place of two fans or coolers use one," Dikshit said here at a political rally.
The chief minister also said consumers should not expect low power bills if their usage was high.
"If you use electricity for 24 hours, you will not pay the bill only for five hours," she said.
Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal recently accused Dikshit of conniving with private power distribution companies and not allowing a cut in electricity tariff.
He claimed that when a former electricity regulator tried to reduce tariff, power companies "went running" to the Delhi government in 2010 and Dikshit ordered that the power rates should not be lowered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information