CVC awaits sanction to prosecute 31 corrupt officials
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission is awaiting sanction from different departments for over four months to prosecute as many as 31 government officials for alleged involvement in corrupt practices.
As per the norms, sanction for prosecution has to be decided within four months.
Of the total 21 cases involving these officials, five are related to Ministry of Finance, three each to Ministry of Railways and Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and two each to State Bank of India and Ministry of Coal, among others.
Besides, one case each involving officials of United Bank of India, Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi, Dena Bank, Syndicate Bank, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) was pending for sanction of prosecution for over four months, according to the latest data, updated till May this year, of the probity watchdog.
"The departments are regularly reminded of the pending cases. We take up the matter during our regular review meetings as well," a CVC official said.
A reminder has also been sent to the departments concerned citing details of a recent Supreme Court verdict on granting sanction to prosecute within four months` time, he said.
Citing an apex court`s order, the CVC has said, "Time limit of three months for grant of sanction for prosecution must be strictly adhered to. However, additional time of one month may be allowed where consultation is required with the Attorney General or any other law officer in the AG`s office".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...