CVC closes 10 corruption cases in CWG projects
New Delhi: About ten cases of alleged corruption in Commonwealth Games related projects carried out by various government departments have been closed following investigation by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
The complaints of alleged corruption by government officials in conducting work at Pragati Maidan India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO), roofing work for weight lifting auditorium at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium and improvement of footpath and drainage system, among others, have been closed by the Commission.
The probe in alleged over payment to contractor and low quality work at Archery and TT stadium in Yamuna Sports Complex, complaints against engineers of Public Works Department for irregularities in construction of roads, sewers, etc in which loss of Rs 50 crore was alleged and investigation in irregularities in award of work to upgrade houses constructed for the Games in Vasant Kunj have also been closed, the CVC said in reply to an RTI query.
Of the total 51 cases of alleged corruption in CWG related work being dealt by the CVC, 24 were pending investigation and 12 were being investigated by the CBI.
In four cases, the CVC has advised imposition of penalty against officials and one case is pending trial, the reply said.
A complaint of alleged corruption from BJP MLA Harsh Vardhan in procurement of about Rs 100 crore secure communication network `Tetra` had also been closed last year, it said.
The projects, investigated by CVC, were related to the the mega sporting extravaganza held here between October 3-14, 2010.
At least 37 government departments have spent over Rs 13,000 crore in 9,000 publicly-funded CWG-related projects.
A Group of Ministers, headed by Defence Minister A K Antony, is looking into reports of alleged financial and managerial irregularities submitted to the government by a high level committee appointed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The HLC, under the chairmanship of former Comptroller and Auditor General V K Shunglu, has submitted six reports to the Prime Minister`s Office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!