CWG: BJP demands judicial probe into claim by Tihar undertrials
New Delhi: The BJP on Thursday demanded a
judicial probe into the sensational claim of two undertrials
in Tihar jail that they were provided weapons to kill two top
Commonwealth Games officials currently lodged in the high
security prison on corruption charges.
Terming the claim as "very serious," Delhi BJP chief
Vijender Gupta alleged that a conspiracy has been hatched to
destroy evidence of wrongdoings in the CWG preparations as key
files containing important information also went missing from
the OC office.
"It is a very serious claim. The two undertrials were
said to have been given Rs two crore to eliminate the two
officials. On top of that important files are going missing.
We want a judicial probe to investigate who is behind these
conspiracies," said Gupta. He also demanded immediate removal
of the "top people from the CWG Organising Committee" to
ensure a fair probe.
The undertrials -- Nishant and Amit -- claimed before
a local court on Tuesday that they had been provided with a
pistol and a knife allegedly by Tihar jail officials to kill
two CWG officials lodged in Tihar.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav took
serious note of the claim and sought a detailed report on
December 24 from the Station House Officer of Hari Nagar
police station on various allegations made by the undertrials.
The duo claimed that the Tihar jail officials provided
them a country-made pistol and a knife to eliminate two of the
three CWG officials who are in judicial custody. A knife was
recovered from their barrack.
Three former top Organising Committee officials T S
Darbari, M Jayachandran and Sanjay Mahendroo are presently in
judicial custody in Tihar jail.
"Recovery of weapon from their barrack proves that
their claim was not false," said Gupta.
In their application submitted before the court, the
undertrials have said that they were shifted from the ordinary
cell to high security ward where the controversial CWG
officials are kept in judicial custody.
"The question is why the duo was shifted to high
security ward. From where the weapons had come from? Who took
away important files from OC office. Who is behind all these.
The matter must be probed thoroughly," Gupta said.
Darbari and Mahendroo were arrested on November 15.
Jaychandran is in custody since November 21. All of them are
facing corruption charges.
The application filed by Nishant and Amit, who are
facing trial on murder charges, have not mentioned the names
of the CWG officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail