CWG Games: Antony promises to look into UD ministry`s plea
New Delhi: Union Urban Development Ministry
is hopeful that its plea for armed forces not charging for
services rendered during the upcoming Commonwealth would be
considered as Defence Minister A K Antony has promised to look
Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy had written to
Antony requesting waiving off of charges, which are to the
tune of over Rs 11 crore, for the assistance to be rendered by
armed forces for the event to be held here in October.
Antony has written back to Reddy, who is also Chairman
of the Group of Ministers (GoM) on Commonwealth Games, saying
he has asked the Defence Secretary to look into the matter, a
senior Urban Development Ministry official said.
According to the CWG Organising Committee, the armed
forces are levying charges amounting to Rs 10,07,64,709 for
the ceremonial functional area and Rs 1,22,18,000 for other
functional areas including accommodation provided by the Army
In his letter to Antony, Reddy had pointed out that
every sporting event in the country in the past has got all
assistance from the armed forces.
"However, it is distressing to know that the armed
forces now require OC to pay in the form of allowances that
has been demanded at the rate of Rs 20,000 per month for
officers, Rs 14,000 for JCOs and Rs 10,000 in respect of other
ranks," the letter said.
He has said that all other agencies of the government
have willingly provided facilities to conduct the Games and it
would be incomplete without the participation of the members
of the armed forces.
"Therefore, I urge you to kindly ensure their (forces`)
full participation at `no cost` to the OC," Reddy told Antony.
A senior Urban Development minister expressed hope that
the request would be accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users