CWG Games: Antony promises to look into UD ministry`s plea
New Delhi: Union Urban Development Ministry
is hopeful that its plea for armed forces not charging for
services rendered during the upcoming Commonwealth would be
considered as Defence Minister A K Antony has promised to look
Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy had written to
Antony requesting waiving off of charges, which are to the
tune of over Rs 11 crore, for the assistance to be rendered by
armed forces for the event to be held here in October.
Antony has written back to Reddy, who is also Chairman
of the Group of Ministers (GoM) on Commonwealth Games, saying
he has asked the Defence Secretary to look into the matter, a
senior Urban Development Ministry official said.
According to the CWG Organising Committee, the armed
forces are levying charges amounting to Rs 10,07,64,709 for
the ceremonial functional area and Rs 1,22,18,000 for other
functional areas including accommodation provided by the Army
In his letter to Antony, Reddy had pointed out that
every sporting event in the country in the past has got all
assistance from the armed forces.
"However, it is distressing to know that the armed
forces now require OC to pay in the form of allowances that
has been demanded at the rate of Rs 20,000 per month for
officers, Rs 14,000 for JCOs and Rs 10,000 in respect of other
ranks," the letter said.
He has said that all other agencies of the government
have willingly provided facilities to conduct the Games and it
would be incomplete without the participation of the members
of the armed forces.
"Therefore, I urge you to kindly ensure their (forces`)
full participation at `no cost` to the OC," Reddy told Antony.
A senior Urban Development minister expressed hope that
the request would be accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery