CWG lapses: Prasar Bharati sets up empowered panel
New Delhi: Stung by the strong indictment
by Shunglu committee probing alleged financial irregularities
in award of broadcasting rights of Commonwealth Games, Prasar
Bharati today set up a Special Empowered Committee to address
the failures and pinpoint responsibility.
The members of the committee would be Prasar Bharati
board Chairperson Mrinal Pande and nominated member Muzaffar
Ali, the public broadcaster decided after its board meeting
"The committee will take stern steps to address the
causes of failures and pinpoint responsibility. Its primary
aim will be to restore the morale of the Prasar Bharati
employees as also its public image," the public broadcaster
said in a release.
The SEC is also allowed to engage outside expertise to
assist in coming to a conclusion, it said.
In other decisions taken at the meeting, the PB board
formed a special committee to address issues related to
financial procedures and accounting systems.
The board directed setting up of a Special Empowered
Committee (SEC) with two Board Members as well as one special
Nominee of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting with
knowledge of financial procedures to address these concerns.
The SEC will examine and address the current situation
and exercise a wide range of financial powers on behalf of the
Board. It would give special attention to timelines
established for disposal of cases.
Expressing deep concern over the position of accounts
and financial processes in the organisation, it said, it
called upon the member (Finance) to follow up and complete all
formalities connected with maintenance of accounts and
compilation of statements, reports etc., in accordance with
the established principles of law, and accepted accounting
Immediate steps were also initiated by the Board for
entrusting of qualified firm/firms of chartered accountant
with the task of assisting the Prasar Bharati.
This activity is to be completed at the earliest and
the future course of action will be decided thereafter, the
In this regard, the Board was also guided by the
repeated concerns expressed by various sections within Prasar
Bharati, in particular, of the Financial Wing for speedy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees