CWG: Special drives to check fire safety measures in hotels
New Delhi: In the run up to the
Commonwealth Games, the Delhi Fire Services is planning to
launch special drives to check fire fighting measures in city
According to officials, inspectors of the department
would visit each hotel in the city to ensure that they adhere
to all guidelines to control and avoid incidents of fire.
"We have prepared a blue print. We shall be beginning
with five star hotels and soon come down to luxury hotels. Our
plan is to make sure that all hotels have necessary fire
safety equipments and facilities," a senior Delhi Fire
Services (DFS) official said.
The department will also be visiting hotels in and around
New Delhi railway station area.
"We have already issued notices to three leading hotels
of the city after regular inspection of their premises," the
official said, adding that "we shall be conducting same checks
for hotels in Paharganj and Karol Bagh area mainly besides
those near Inter State Bus Terminals (ISBTs)."
The drive is focused on ensuring that hotels have
necessary equipments to douse fire, alternative escape route,
water storage tanks, working pumps and other devices to deal
"There will thousands of visitors who would be coming to
the capital during the mega sporting event. The exercise is
aimed at ensuring safe lodging to them. The drive will be
completed by September 15," he said.
The Commonwealth Games are scheduled to be held here
between October 3-14.
Hotels and their associations have welcomed the move by
the Fire department.
"Most of our hotels follow fire safety measures. We
ask our associates to fulfil all criteria to ensure safety of
guests," said Arun Gupta, General Secretary, Hotel Mahasangh,
an umbrella body of 1,200 hotels in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state