Dalit girl award for revolting against lack of proper toilet
New Delhi: A Dalit girl, who left her in-laws` house barely three days after her marriage as it lacked proper sanitation, has been awarded Rs 2 lakh in cash for her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene.
Priyanka, the Dalit girl from Kanchanpur Kuiya village in eastern Uttar Pradesh, won a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh and an ultra modern toilet from social service organisation Sulabh.
Despite repeated requests by husband and father-in-law, she vowed not to return till a proper toilet was constructed.
Terming her as "revolutionary of a different kind", Sulabh International has decided to reward her with the cash besides constructing an ultra modern toilet with bathroom at her new home in the remote part of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We salute her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene," Sulabh Founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak said.
The award will act as an inspiration for others to follow, he said.
Sulabh is going to construct a modern toilet for her so that she can return to her in-laws` place as soon as possible, Pathak said in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case