Dalit girl award for revolting against lack of proper toilet
New Delhi: A Dalit girl, who left her in-laws` house barely three days after her marriage as it lacked proper sanitation, has been awarded Rs 2 lakh in cash for her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene.
Priyanka, the Dalit girl from Kanchanpur Kuiya village in eastern Uttar Pradesh, won a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh and an ultra modern toilet from social service organisation Sulabh.
Despite repeated requests by husband and father-in-law, she vowed not to return till a proper toilet was constructed.
Terming her as "revolutionary of a different kind", Sulabh International has decided to reward her with the cash besides constructing an ultra modern toilet with bathroom at her new home in the remote part of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We salute her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene," Sulabh Founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak said.
The award will act as an inspiration for others to follow, he said.
Sulabh is going to construct a modern toilet for her so that she can return to her in-laws` place as soon as possible, Pathak said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan