Dalit girl award for revolting against lack of proper toilet
New Delhi: A Dalit girl, who left her in-laws` house barely three days after her marriage as it lacked proper sanitation, has been awarded Rs 2 lakh in cash for her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene.
Priyanka, the Dalit girl from Kanchanpur Kuiya village in eastern Uttar Pradesh, won a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh and an ultra modern toilet from social service organisation Sulabh.
Despite repeated requests by husband and father-in-law, she vowed not to return till a proper toilet was constructed.
Terming her as "revolutionary of a different kind", Sulabh International has decided to reward her with the cash besides constructing an ultra modern toilet with bathroom at her new home in the remote part of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We salute her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene," Sulabh Founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak said.
The award will act as an inspiration for others to follow, he said.
Sulabh is going to construct a modern toilet for her so that she can return to her in-laws` place as soon as possible, Pathak said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh