Dalit girl award for revolting against lack of proper toilet
New Delhi: A Dalit girl, who left her in-laws` house barely three days after her marriage as it lacked proper sanitation, has been awarded Rs 2 lakh in cash for her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene.
Priyanka, the Dalit girl from Kanchanpur Kuiya village in eastern Uttar Pradesh, won a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh and an ultra modern toilet from social service organisation Sulabh.
Despite repeated requests by husband and father-in-law, she vowed not to return till a proper toilet was constructed.
Terming her as "revolutionary of a different kind", Sulabh International has decided to reward her with the cash besides constructing an ultra modern toilet with bathroom at her new home in the remote part of eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We salute her bold stand on cleanliness and hygiene," Sulabh Founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak said.
The award will act as an inspiration for others to follow, he said.
Sulabh is going to construct a modern toilet for her so that she can return to her in-laws` place as soon as possible, Pathak said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note