Dalits demonstrate demanding revision of Land Ceiling Act
New Delhi: Scores of people from Dalit community on Monday held a protest here demanding revision of the Land Ceiling Act, alleging the ownership of land and other resources have always been in hands of those who are "dominant in caste".
The protest was organised by All India Dalit and Tribal Women`s Forum (AIDTWF).
"We met Jairam Ramesh, Minister of Rural Development, on Friday. We demanded that any land policy that comes in must be brought in after consulting Dalit and tribal women as well," said P Sivakami, a former IAS officer and AIDTWF president.
Dalit leader Udit Raj said that "in the name of trusts and institutions, people are today possessing thousand acres of lands. We demand a limit to be imposed on it.
"Dalit and Scheduled Tribe women should be given land rights.
Government needs special plans to provide mandatory assistance in irrational facilities," he said.
He demanded certain amendment in the propose land law.
"There must be provision that no man can sell his land without the consent of his wife, there should be revision of land ceiling from 15 standard acres to 5 acres," he said.
The protesters also demanded taking back farm land from temples and other religious institutions and distribute them among landless people.
A demand for specific rules to be brought to enforce ceiling on educational institutions, companies and corporate owning land was also raised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!