Dalits demonstrate demanding revision of Land Ceiling Act
New Delhi: Scores of people from Dalit community on Monday held a protest here demanding revision of the Land Ceiling Act, alleging the ownership of land and other resources have always been in hands of those who are "dominant in caste".
The protest was organised by All India Dalit and Tribal Women`s Forum (AIDTWF).
"We met Jairam Ramesh, Minister of Rural Development, on Friday. We demanded that any land policy that comes in must be brought in after consulting Dalit and tribal women as well," said P Sivakami, a former IAS officer and AIDTWF president.
Dalit leader Udit Raj said that "in the name of trusts and institutions, people are today possessing thousand acres of lands. We demand a limit to be imposed on it.
"Dalit and Scheduled Tribe women should be given land rights.
Government needs special plans to provide mandatory assistance in irrational facilities," he said.
He demanded certain amendment in the propose land law.
"There must be provision that no man can sell his land without the consent of his wife, there should be revision of land ceiling from 15 standard acres to 5 acres," he said.
The protesters also demanded taking back farm land from temples and other religious institutions and distribute them among landless people.
A demand for specific rules to be brought to enforce ceiling on educational institutions, companies and corporate owning land was also raised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?