Danish tourist rape case: Delhi Police arrest third suspect
New Delhi: A third man was on Thursday arrested in connection with the alleged gang rape of a 51-year-old Danish tourist at knife-point near New Delhi railway station in the heart of the national capital on Tuesday.
According to police, Raju alias Bhajai (23), who is a vagabond of Paharganj area, was arrested here this afternoon near Nizamuddiun Railway Station in South Delhi.
Raju was among the eight vagabonds who had allegedly robbed and gang raped the victim on knife-point after leading her to a secluded place close to the Divisional Railway Officers Club near the New Delhi Railway Station on Tuesday evening.
Two of the other accused in the case, identified as Mahender alias Ganja (25), a resident of Uttar Pradesh`s Fatehpur district, and Raja were arrested yesterday.
They were sent to police custody till January 20 by a local court. Police had recovered an Ipod, ear plug, Nokia mobile worth Rs 1,200--purchased out of robbed cash and Rs 800 cash from Mahender`s possession while a spectacle case and Rs 1,000 cash from Raja, all of which were robbed by them from the victim, police said.
Senior officials said that the remaining five accused in the case have also been identified and several police teams are raiding Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana and Maharashtra to nab them.
The Danish tourist, who had come to India on January 1, had first gone to Agra and returned to Delhi on Monday and checked in a Paharganj hotel.
On Tuesday, she went to visit a museum near Connaught Place but lost her way back to her hotel following which she approached the group of men asking for directions who waylaid her and then robbed and gang raped her for around three hours.
The victim, who had refused to undergo a medical test and left for Denmark yesterday afternoon, had promised all possible help to the Delhi Police and agreed to return to depose in the case, if required.
"She may have left but we have got key scientific evidence in the case. In the hurry to flee, one of the vagabonds wore the victim`s track pants while she wore his jeans, which will give us key DNA evidence to establish the perpetrators identity," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof