Danish tourist rape case: Delhi Police arrest third suspect
New Delhi: A third man was on Thursday arrested in connection with the alleged gang rape of a 51-year-old Danish tourist at knife-point near New Delhi railway station in the heart of the national capital on Tuesday.
According to police, Raju alias Bhajai (23), who is a vagabond of Paharganj area, was arrested here this afternoon near Nizamuddiun Railway Station in South Delhi.
Raju was among the eight vagabonds who had allegedly robbed and gang raped the victim on knife-point after leading her to a secluded place close to the Divisional Railway Officers Club near the New Delhi Railway Station on Tuesday evening.
Two of the other accused in the case, identified as Mahender alias Ganja (25), a resident of Uttar Pradesh`s Fatehpur district, and Raja were arrested yesterday.
They were sent to police custody till January 20 by a local court. Police had recovered an Ipod, ear plug, Nokia mobile worth Rs 1,200--purchased out of robbed cash and Rs 800 cash from Mahender`s possession while a spectacle case and Rs 1,000 cash from Raja, all of which were robbed by them from the victim, police said.
Senior officials said that the remaining five accused in the case have also been identified and several police teams are raiding Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana and Maharashtra to nab them.
The Danish tourist, who had come to India on January 1, had first gone to Agra and returned to Delhi on Monday and checked in a Paharganj hotel.
On Tuesday, she went to visit a museum near Connaught Place but lost her way back to her hotel following which she approached the group of men asking for directions who waylaid her and then robbed and gang raped her for around three hours.
The victim, who had refused to undergo a medical test and left for Denmark yesterday afternoon, had promised all possible help to the Delhi Police and agreed to return to depose in the case, if required.
"She may have left but we have got key scientific evidence in the case. In the hurry to flee, one of the vagabonds wore the victim`s track pants while she wore his jeans, which will give us key DNA evidence to establish the perpetrators identity," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick