Dawood`s aide gets lifer for abducting businessman
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Monday sentenced a man to life imprisonment for abducting a
businessman at the behest of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and
demanding a ransom of Rs 1.5 crore.
The High Court expressed its anguish that government
accommodation was used for the crime, which in fact was a
reflection of official corruption.
The accused KK Saini was operating from a government
quarter which was allotted to a Supreme Court official where
the abducted businessman was kept in confinement.
The businessman Sikander Lal Pahwa was abducted on
March 2, 1994, from Greater Kailash II in South Delhi and kept
in a sector XII government quarter in R K Puram from where the
accused was making calls for ransom through a telephone which
was in the name of another person.
The accused had rented a government quarter allotted
to an Assistant Registrar of the Supreme Court Hari Shankar
The victim was released by the abductor allegedly on
payment of ransom, which was denied by Pahwa`s family.
Investigation into the incident made it clear that the phone
calls reaching the victim`s family were originating from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers