Day after Afzal`s execution, Delhi still on alert
New Delhi: A day after Afzal Guru was hanged, Delhi continued to be on alert Sunday while Delhi University lecturer SAR Geelani, who was allegedly detained, said he had been advised to stay home.
"Delhi continues to be on alert and Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) have been asked to be prepared for any untoward incident or protests," said a senior Delhi Police officer.
He said the alert will continue for next two-three days depending upon the situation.
Geelani, who teaches at Zakir Hussain College, Delhi University, was allegedly picked up by Delhi Police`s Special Cell Saturday. Some other leaders from Kashmir were also detained.
Geelani was arrested Dec 2001 for his alleged involvement in the parliament attack of Dec 13, 2001. He was acquitted by the Supreme Court in 2003.
"They (police) did not want me to speak to the media, so they detained me. They took me to the Special Cell offices in New Friends Colony," Geelani told a news agency.
Delhi Police claimed they did not detain Geelani. However, police sources admitted that some people were being "monitored" as a preventive measure.
Geelani said that he had been let off at 10 p.m. Saturday and has been "advised" not to go out of his house.
"Even today, I have been advised to stay home. It`s like home arrest," Geelani said.
Police also detained Hurriyat leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and journalist Iftikhar Gilani in Delhi.
Iftikar Gilani was released Saturday afternoon, after media persons arrived at the scene and protested his detention.
Afzal Guru, convicted in the 2001 parliament attack, was hanged in Tihar Jail Saturday.
He was buried inside the jail, even as his family sought permission from the jail authorities to perform his last rites in accordance with religious traditions.
A minor clash broke out between the right-wing Hindu groups and protesting Kashmiri youths at Jantar Mantar in the heart of Delhi Saturday.
The Democratic Students Union (DSU) of Jawaharlal Nehru University, who organised protests Saturday, denied holding any protests Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal